22 September 2009

Tombstone Tuesday with Family Tree


You read that right. Family Tree. I know nothing of my great great grandparents. Most people don't. I feel a little bit more connected to them since I found out where they were buried and my mom showed me pictures of what they looked like.

Buried in Northwood Cemetery in Emmaus, Pennsylvania, my great great grandparents are peacefully resting. William H. Meitzler, born July 1 1872 and died July 29, 1932, married Katie, born January 25, 1877 and died February 14, 1942. I don't know much about them. I wish I did. The sad thing about family trees is that when someone doesn't right it down, the knowledge of the dead's existence on earth means nothing. What is left is stones that will leave us guessing if that person was related to us in some way, shape, or form.

What is amazing to me is that my grandmother, Mammy Carl, gave my mom these old pictures she found. They are from her side and her mom's side of the family. My great grandmother Laura Meitzler, was a Beiber (big name for this area). Katie and William, I think, are her in-laws.

I don't know what they died of. I don't know what their personality was like. I know nothing of them. My grandmother doesn't remember much of them.

UPDATE: While in the middle of making this post, and right before I published it. I decided to call my grandmother. I asked her about Katie and William. She doesn't remember much about William. She did tell me that he died of appendicitis. Katie she remembered a lot.

Katie was an illegitimate child. Her mom wanted to marry the father but that didn't happen. Katie's maiden name was Hart. She was not Moravian like my family currently is. She was episcopalian. She prayed on her rosary every day and she also read her bible on a daily basis. As you can see from the picture, she was over weight. If genetics have anything to do with it, I think I can thank her. However, she couldn't get into a car because of her weight. She had to sit in a lounger and not a regular chair. And, from what I understand, she always had a clean house. She was also a good cook. My grandmother doesn't know what she died of. Being overweight and back in the 1940's, her death could've been caused by a number of things. It could've been her weight on her body. Diabetes run in the family. It could be many undiagnosed conditions. So thank you Mammy Carl for giving me a little information into my great great grandparents life.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried to get a copy of her death certificate? That would give you cause of death and if you are lucky information on her parents. Then you will be hooked in tracing you tree back as far as you can....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really a good idea. I never thought of that. And I know exactly where to get it because I had to get a copy of my sister's birth certificate. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so welcome. If you need any assistance with going back in your tree let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails